I'll tell you what...having a pen name is perhaps the best thing I've ever done for myself. I was able to create the person I'd always wanted to be and craft her from scratch. Roxy doesn't have a lot of the baggage that the "Real" me does. And there's something about putting on a different name like a kick ass coat and walking into the room knowing you don't have to worry about who you used to be.
Basically, I highly recommend pen names and suggest everyone get one when they are feeling a little less than confident in themselves.
So as an aside from what this blog is really about, I dare you to pick a persona for a night and rock it. Take cash so you don't have to worry about your name matching your credit card. Pick who you want to be and go out as that person. I have so much more fun as Roxy than as the regular me. Maybe I should go out as one of my characters...hmm. Now that's a blog idea...
Anyway. I'm doing a challenge. Yeah. That's what this is about. And my homework for today is another list. This is a list of my accomplishments without any qualifiers. No diminishing them with "but" excuses for why they aren't awesome. Time to list some straight up facts. Some of these might get a tad personal, so I'm making one for "Roxy" and one for me.
Roxy's Accomplishments List
1. Submitted and contracted my first published book through Samhain Publishing.
2. Had a book reviewed in Romantic Times.
3. Featured Author in Love Letter Magazine in Germany.
4. Coordinated April Fools For Love collection of stories with some seriously awesome authors (Returning in 2020!)
5. Self-Published my own books. With all the edits, formatting, and cover art coordination.
6. Created my own website.
7. Led a winning team in the RWA Word War for NaNoWriMo in 2016. (We came in 2nd in 2017, but watch out for this year!)
8. Made PAN in RWA with my first published book.
9. Got my 5 book milestone pin from RWA.
10. Was a Night Owl Reviews Top Pick.
Roxy's got it going on!
Now if only her alter ego could get her shit together.
Part of me wants to comment on the fact that this was all some time ago, and my recent accomplishments aren't as exciting, but the big point here was to not qualify the accomplishments. So I'm not going to try and come up with a more recent list. I'm just going to enjoy what I got to do so far in my author journey.
Honestly, listing it out makes me super excited to find out what's next.
If you want to play along with me, make a list of your ten accomplishments. But don't compare them to mine or anyone else's. Did you graduate college? That's an accomplishment. If you have made even a small dent in your student loan bills, holy hell you are so damn far ahead of me.
If you play along let me know how it's going. If you want to sign up for the challenge yourself head HERE. And if you want to start at the beginning of my 5 day challenge, go HERE. I'll see you tomorrow for Day 3.